HMH Tube Vice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HMH Tube Vice?

I was thinking of taking the plunge and getting this vice. Must admit to getting a bit frustrated with using needles etc. Does anyone have any experience of this vice? It does seem like quite a lot of money so I would like to think it works well. I would be using it primarily to tie ally and some copper tubes. Any comments / advice would be appreciated.

Phil

Hi Phil,
    I use one of these myself and am extremely happy with it - it's not cheap, but it's a top bit of kit, and will last a lifetime. To be honest you don't know how you've managed without it when you buy one, as they do avoid a lot of time wasting. Shame you weren't looking a few months ago though, as you could have got one for about half the price from the US, as I did. May still be worth looking around, as you may still save £20 or more.
    TT.

Comment

Thanks Steff,

Its always nice to get a kit recommendation from someone who has used an item for a while. I will do a few searches and look at some prices. I might just see if santa wants to contribute something towards one.:>

Phil

Comment

Have both ....

Get/buy the higher end one; works VERY WELL for the task at hand.|\
        Fred

Comment

Originally posted by fredaevans View Post
          Get/buy the higher end one; works VERY WELL for the task at hand.|\
          Fred
          Just seen that one on their site, didn't even know it existed, looks like a nice bit of kit! |\

http://www.hmhvises.com/premiumtube.html

I've got the other one, which I get along with just fine, but can see the added attraction of the above. ~:.

Just had a look and Glasgow Angling are charging around £100 for one, plus postage. I got it from the following site, and Blake, the owner, has always given me great service:

http://www.wildernessangler.com/servlet/Detail?no=885

Even at today's exchange rate there's a saving to be made. Their closeouts and specials are always worth checking out.

TT.

Comment

Typical mean, i mostly use a selection of waddington shanks,cut in half at one end then put small offset then reset straight,so it becomes kind of spring(bump),diffrent sizes diffrent tubes.and use felting needles from ebay for plastic tubes(same as norling needle some sizes in pack and lot cheaper than,guideline one)
            Been meaning to get a small dremmell type chuck,keyless, see if i can mount on threaded rod and bolt to a cheap aa vice shaft ,ie remove vice so left with stem,pass threaded rod through hole in stem,bolt either side of stem tightened
            I have also heard of people buying pin vises and mounting them or modifying them to fit old vise
            can get pin vises on ebay or google watchmakers tools,just have to make sure that pin vises and chucks fit various tube od
            been meening to do this for two years only got cheap aa vice so far £3 inc p&p on ebay
            Was also trying to scource tube materials,cu,brass alu ,refrigeration /aircraft supplies,plastic medical,brewing/custom car coloured windscreenwash hose
            some help if anyone wants to try

Comment

Hey AP,

I've been messing around with tubes you can buy from model shops for a few years now, and have usually sourced them through this company:

http://www.yellowcatshop.co.uk/shop/...bcatid=3500139

Some really nice fine bore tubing on there. Also, something that I have played around with and does give some nice results is their coloured plastic tubing.

Scroll down and you will come across the butyrate tubing. This can be purchased in black, blue, red etc. Great fun to play around with - the black one is a great way of cheating on black bodied tubes; just tie in some tinsel towards the base, then rib the black tubing, job done!

TT.

Comment

Working...
              X