Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tandem lures

sut mae all,

I managed to catch on snakes, tubes and singles this year but not on a tandem lure. They were recomended by Illtyd. However I cannot remember what sizes he used. I was wondering if many others use them and if so was wondering if I could be so cheeky as to ask for the type of patterns people use and the sizes.

Diolch
    Grunt

Grunt,

I do a lot of eastury fishing and use alot of tandems for sewin. Mine range between 4" and 9" believe it or not. The funny thing is the big flies seem to catch more small fish than big sewin. In the rivers i use smaller ones from 2" - 6" in blacks, blues and whites.

Regards UF

Comment

'If' you're talking about a 'trailing hook' behind a big fly ..

it works well. Steelhead here in So. Oregon have a tendency to be 'short strikers,' so with a large fly (especially if the wing/tail go much beyond the cure of the hook) we'll frequently use a 'stinger hook' that hangs back in the end of the feather/hair/tail.

Odds on favorite that's the one that will take the fish.|\

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Ugie Fisher View Post
        In the rivers i use smaller ones from 2" - 6" in blacks, blues and whites.
        White |\

To be honest UF you rarely see or hear of people using white in rivers when fishing for sewin, indeed, I can't honestly say that I use it that much myself. However, a friend of mine just uses one pattern nowadays that's just black and white, and he certainly catches his share.

How do you construct your pattern? do you use a lot of white? Most baitfish/sandeels etc. would have a white belly, so it makes sense to have some included.

TT.

Comment

i use the white moth for seatrout on my local rivers in cork and i can tell u its deadly out fishes the usual flies most nights
          havent fished it anything bigger than a size 10

Comment

i usually make up the tandem rig as you do and then tie in the body and use white feather abouth an inch past the second hook. Also add sone crystal flash and maybe a hackle. Another pattern i use is locally called "the ythan terror" thats why my dad has used it as his name. For this we use a single size 6 longshank and tie in two white ( any colour you want) feathers at the tail with some crystal flash and then tie in a silver tinsel body then rib itup to the eye. Then tie in some white marabou and sone crystal again and finish it off with some teal, over the marabou as a wing, and then whip finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugie Fisher View Post
              i usually make up the tandem rig as you do and then tie in the body and use white feather abouth an inch past the second hook. Also add sone crystal flash and maybe a hackle. Another pattern i use is locally called "the ythan terror" thats why my dad has used it as his name. For this we use a single size 6 longshank and tie in two white ( any colour you want) feathers at the tail with some crystal flash and then tie in a silver tinsel body then rib itup to the eye. Then tie in some white marabou and sone crystal again and finish it off with some teal, over the marabou as a wing, and then whip finish.
              What was the name of the bait that was used on the ythan estuary for sea trout,

was led to belive it was made out of a nail or bit of steel rod with a twist in it,never seen one,but old boss when i was apprentice told me about it, from when he used to holiday up there

Comment

Originally posted by allypally View Post
                What was the name of the bait that was used on the ythan estuary for sea trout,

was led to belive it was made out of a nail or bit of steel rod with a twist in it,never seen one,but old boss when i was apprentice told me about it, from when he used to holiday up there
                Allypally,

It was called "The Copper Nail" or as i would call it "The Ugie Nail" because it was first fished on the Ugie and then fishede on Th Ythan both with huge sucess it is still catching fish now. It was a copper ship nail or a piece of copper welding rod with two ends flatened to a point, then a hole was drilled at each end with a split ring attached through it. At one end attach a swivel and the other attach a treble. Since it is made of copper it can be bent at the riverbank to any shape you want. It is usually wound in very quick to give it a riggle.
                Last edited by Ugie Fisher; 11-01-2009, 11:50.

Comment

thanks good man funny how i remember now when someone in the know,reminds me|\

Comment

Great set of threads there AllyPally and UF, thanks a lot, very interesting. |\

TT.

Comment

Working...
                    X