Sea Trout excluded from Angling Trust national poll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea Trout excluded from Angling Trust national poll

A poll has just been launched to identify a national fish for the British Isles. The four hundred odd British species have been pruned down to twenty freshwater and twenty sea species that we can vote for. Here’s a link for the webpage.

www.btwlfishproject.com/#!uk-national-fish/gus4w

The eagle-eyed amongst you will spot a glaring omission. The Sea Trout, arguably the national freshwater fish of Wales, has been left off the list. I emailed in complaining about this and was told that Sea Trout had been excluded because they are the same species as brown trout (and that, if I wanted Sea Trout to win the poll, I should therefore vote for brown trout).

Scientifically this may well be true but it is also misleading and unhelpful. Whatever the scientific technicalities, anyone who fishes for sea trout knows that they have to be approached as a separate and different species in their own right. An eight foot number 4 fly rod, a four pound point and a size 18 dry fly isn’t going to cut it with a Towy or a Dovey fifteen pound sea trout.

A lot of what happens in the UK is geared up to the needs and preoccupations of England’s Home Counties. As a born and bred Londoner who has lived in Wales for the past twenty two years, this often strikes me as both odd and rather unfair. The blithe assumption that Sea Trout can be airbrushed out of the equation is, I think, an unfortunate one that ought to be challenged.

If anyone else shares my unhappiness about this, it would be interesting to hear what response they get from querying this. I used the ‘contact’ link at the top of the voting page.

I had at first thought, wrongly, that the poll was being run by the Angling Trust but it turns out that they were merely publicising it via their newsletter but were not organising it.
    Last edited by johnb; 18-02-2016, 09:41.

For God's sake don't tell Londoners about the sea trout fishing in Wales! Don't fancy the over inflated prices a la the Tweed...

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
      The Angling Trust has just launched a poll to identify a national fish for the British Isles.
      They haven't.

The Angling Trust’s blithe assumption that they can somehow airbrush Sea Trout out of the equation...
      They haven't done that either. Why would they? The Angling Trust & Fish Legal spend £1,000's of their membership income each year protecting the environment that sea trout depend upon, and prosecuting those that pollute it.

That is a page by "Beneath the Waterline" (not the Angling Trust) that lists the "top contenders" in the poll. The poll to which that page links includes a full list of contenders which includes sea trout. They are fourth in Beneath the Waterline's list. See: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/2WHCHR9

Here's a picture of Mark Lloyd, Angling Trust & Fish Legal Chief Executive returning a Devon fish:

You can read about it here.

airbrush ::/

Comment

Thanks for the comments Will. I must say JohnB that I could not see that linking through or being associated with the AT either? Would be good to know how you linked the two as it's a bit confusing as it stands. Indeed, personally I think the AT do a fantastic job and welcome the day they start operating in Wales.

TT.

Comment

Will's first point is a fair one - 'The Search For The Nation's Favourite Fish' was the fourth news item on the Angling Trust's email newsletter of February 6th. I reached the voting page by clicking through on the link on that item. I then assumed, presumably wrongly, that the page that came up was part of the Angling Trust set-up.

I entirely agree with Will and TT's very positive comments about the overall operations of the Angling Trust, an organisation whose activities I admire.

His third point is incorrect. He suggests that the sea trout is listed on the polling list in its own right. Sea trout are not. The sea trout is only listed as an alternate with the brown trout.

The sea trout's appearance on the list at all is, according to a poster on another forum, a change that was made as a result of the concerns raised.

So, mea culpa for muddling a poll endorsed and publicised by the Angling Trust with a poll organised and run by them. My apologies to them.

But the substantive point, that it is unhelpful to lump sea trout and brown trout in together, stands. If you fish Welsh rivers for sea trout you will probably be well aware of the differences between sea trout and brown trout. Seeing them as interchangeable does justice to neither.

TT - can you delete the words 'Angling Trust' from the heading for this thread? Thanks for that.
          Last edited by johnb; 13-02-2016, 17:23.

Comment

TT - can you delete the words 'Angling Trust' from the heading for this thread? Thanks for that.
            Hi JohnB,

I can do, but then your whole post is about the Angling Trust and mentions the Angling Trust throughout? Again, I fail to see the association and why you decided to pin this at their door in the first place? Perhaps best to start again or edit the content of your original post first?

TT.

Comment

Licence

If they are the 'same species' why then do we have to have a separate licence to fish for Sewin as opposed to Brown Trout? I don't think the NRW baliff's would accept any anglers argument that they are the same if caught fishing for Sewin with a trout licence.

Comment

TT - I'm obviously having a succession of senior moments here (What's my name? Who's the Prime Minister?). I thought I'd posted a fully revised version of the original post, but without any finger-pointing at the Angling Trust, but it obviously hadn't taken. I've done it again and I hope this time it's worked.

Would it then be ok to delete 'Angling Trust' from the original thread title?

My concern isn't who is actually organising the poll. What irritates me is their refusal to distinguish adequately between sea trout and brown trout. It's the tip of the much bigger iceberg of seeing sea trout fishing as inherently less important than either fishing for brown trout or salmon.

Comment

Working...
                X