Line Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line Advice

I am very pleased with my sewincaster lines, and am hoping to find something as good for salmon fishing! Trust you guys dont mind my asking on here!

I have an ABU Ambassadeur Elite rod, 15' rated AFTM 10 which I like and am looking for a new line for it. Would like to see something as well designed as the sewincasters - do you do salmon lines as well Illtyd?

Actually, am looking at either multi-tips or shooting heads so I can stick to one reel and carry less with me.

Would very much appreciate some advice!

Go to:www.salmonfishingforum.com and post the same question on the tackle talk thread. I am sure you will get some good replies.

Comment

Sorry, I see you've done that.

Comment

Had a go with TT's Bill Drury Multi Tip 8/9 weight ,on a 13 footer yesterday ,found it a very good easy to cast line with a good visual loading section .
        Would say the right rated line in this brand or the Jock Monteith which would give you even more ability to fish deeper (at a higher price ).
        Personnally I prefer dedicated lines to the multi tips ,though on some beats I find tips the way to go when you have varying water speed and depth to play with .
        Money not object get a carron ,simply the best long belly line out there but big bucks (£75 ) a little more would get you the Drury !

Comment

Lines for salmon.

Dear Salarex,
          I'm sorry I have not entered the minefield which is the salmon line market!
          I have a Scott T2H which is now my preferred weapon for 15' rods and have found the Jock Montieth to be an excellent multitip line with many possible combinations of tips for different depths. This weighs about 47grams for the whole head and seems to "fit" most salmon rods which I have handled when I teach.
          I would agree with ACW that for floating line with polytips (my preferred summer fishing method on medium to large rivers) it is better to get a dedicated Spey line. My preference here is the Rio Powerspey which again weighs 47grams. I prefer it to the Carron as in my hands it turns over polyleaders so much easier. The Drury with a lift point of 47' is a little too short for me on large rivers although I do use these lines for teaching.
          For more serious sinking line work I use Guideline 1/2 2/3 and 3/4 shooting head lines which I cut back to 44 grams which again seems to work universally on most modern 15'rods.
          These three options give me the versatility I need to get down to about 4-5' which is about as much as I feel I need.
          On all Welsh rivers which are smaller I use a 13'rod with usually a shooting head of about 41grams (Guideline uncut) and usually intermediates or Sink 1/2 which gets my flies down quickly to a fishing depth where the swing is short.
          Low water fishing I use my lines as these work so well both for Speycasting and for overhead on 10' rods
          I hope this helps.

Illtyd

Comment

Thanks Illtyd, food for thought - but your apology for not entering the salmon line market not accepted :>

Based on how good the sewincaster line is I think you'd clean up! I intend to use the sewincasters for my reservoir fishing in future and will be interested to see if they are gentle enough for nymph fishing - I think they will be!

Comment

Being a coveist nympher I would say the sewincasters though great casting lines are just a bit to heavy,I like 4&5 weights for my nymphing ,well greasd ,
              you will find you notice many more takes when on the drop or slow retreive .
              The sewincaster would be fine for pulling flys however .

Comment

Find the Bill Drury multi-tip to be an awesome line, even for a novice such as myself on the double-hander. Will cope with anything the UK has to offer, and a lot of the guides on the Ponoi (which is over 200 metres wide in places) were using them too. Very versatile and good value for money.

TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
                  Find the Bill Drury multi-tip to be an awesome line, even for a novice such as myself on the double-hander. Will cope with anything the UK has to offer, and a lot of the guides on the Ponoi (which is over 200 metres wide in places) were using them too. Very versatile and good value for money.

TT.
                  I was impressed with TTs drury also SJFs sewincaster which i tried in a barrage of Alchol and worse fuelled abuse on the Kennet at mayfly time .
                  Both are super lines matched with the right rods .
                  Not all out distance lines but to my mind proper fishing lines ,worked out by people that walk the walk ,not talk the -h!t !
                  Think I need to get a drifty boat line design worked on !

Comment

Working...
                  X