switch rods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switch rods

I have finally launched myself into the 21st century and purchased a personal Xmas present of a Shakespeare switch rod.They seem to have good reviews.Has anyone got experience of these rods.So long as they can handle a 3lb grayling i will be happy..

I had one and it was a really good rod for the price! Only thing i didn`t like about it was it was a six piece, so i ended up getting an Airflo instead! Think they now do a four piece!
    Barrio switch line worked really well with it! Even i could cast with it, and that`s saying something!:>

Comment

Got a 4 piece along with a shakespeare switch line.I am not the best caster.30 yards is my max.I will see how it goes|\

Comment

Shakespeare switch line seems to have a good reputation! Good luck with it!

Comment

Having read numerous articles on other forums and completely confused myself, I opted for the shakspeare 4 piece rod last season. After a few outings even I managed to get the feel of the Barrio switch line and was able to cast reasonably efficiently. Well worth the money.
          Last edited by mepps4me; 23-12-2015, 08:22.

Comment

I have a switch rod and have paired it up with a rio short scandi versitip, waw what a line havent tried a better line on a switch rod, well worth the money

Comment

I've had a few casts with the 7/8 8/9# Shakespeare on a demo
              I tried several lines including there own and rio scandi short 8/9 which was the dogs do dars
              I got on well with both but felt the 8/9# would be better in windy or high water conditions / bigger flys

I'm really keen to invest in a switch rod for next season would be interesting to hear what other rods are in the running
              Have a great Christmas chaps maybe Santa might bring me one |\

Comment

The sage method is by far the best i have tried, ive also tried sage one and gloomis switch rods, both of which were good but tge sage meflthod 11,9" 8wt, in the right hands can cast the towy effortlessly

Comment

I am also new to double hand/switch rods, and struggle with the larger rods but the method i feel like an expert

Comment

I put a Rio skagit short head set up on my Loomis 12ft 6wt at the end of last season and it transformed my casting efforts instantly. Once you find the line that suits you and the rod I find that you can get on with fishing better than worrying about whether the casting is right. Tight lines and good luck with the new rod.

Mintylad

Comment

Thats good news for me ive bought a rio skagit short on sale at the season end so will have to wait oatiently for next season to try it out

Comment

Thanks for the feedback boys.Now totally confused.I had to look up what a skagit was:>Determined to fish fly only next year.Lets hope for more fish in the river this season.

Comment

I nearly touched the spinning rod last season and not one worm was drowned at my hands. Although my catch return reflects my ineptitude with the fly rod every fish caught was earnt and as they were all caught on my own flies (apart from a couple thanks John Evs) a greater sense of achievement was felt. I will hopefully continue this trend this coming season. If you are wanting to try out the new line I'm sure that provided no actual flies were attached to the business end there would be nothing stopping you having a quick practice run.

Mintylad

Comment

I think ill wait patiently, coukd do with a spare spool and new running line for the skagit just for more convenience, im planning on fishing the fly a lot more next season as i do more every year, but i do like spinning

Comment

Go light but go long

I've gone over to a switch set up for sewin and grilse but did learn a valuable lesson on the Teifi late last season; fishing a lighter set up (#8 rate on a 11ft 6in with 6lb tip), you can't lean on a bigger fish as you could on a full double hander..... So, I now have 250 yds of running/backing line and that's what that bugger wanted :}
                              Needless to say we parted company when I had to stop running down stream, lucky it threw the barbless hook as it thrashed on the surface, or I'd be in Ireland by now. :>

Comment

Working...
                              X