More Casting Tat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Casting Tat

A little more casting stuff with a single handed rod but this time from a left hand bank. Salmon and sea trout lie under the opposite bank under and downstream of the large tree. They also lie upstream of the bush. The rod is a G Loomis NRX 10ft long. The line is a Barrio SLX and the fly is a 1" long copper tube. The video is shot over about 20 minutes with a GoPro Hero 4 Black Edition and then the bits between the casts edited out to compress the whole clip down to 3 minutes only.
    Last edited by laffingravy; 16-09-2015, 14:54.
    www.silversalmon.co.uk

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post

A little more casting stuff with a single handed rod but this time from a left hand bank. Salmon and sea trout lie under the opposite bank under and downstream of the large tree. They also lie upstream of the bush. The rod is a G Loomis NRX 10ft long. The line is a Barrio SLX and the fly is a 1" long copper tube. The video is shot over about 20 minutes with a GoPro Hero 4 Black Edition and then the bits between the casts edited out to compress the whole clip down to 3 minutes only.
    Fantastic LG.

I don't want to be pedantic, but, what is the line rating?

Regards, holly.

Comment

Nothing pedantic about it Yorkshire. The head weight is 265 grains which equates to 17.17grams. In Yorkshire money this works out at something like a true 7-1/4 weight.
      www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Just received a Barrio slx for my enigma 10ft 7 weight! Looking forward to trying it out!
        Only thing is, would you ever go up one line weight with the barrio slx ( 8 weight on a 7 weight rod) or is there no need with these lines?
        Hope this makes sense!

Comment

I would not advise to go up a line weight with a Barrio SLX. I have them in 4 thru to 8 weight and use them quite a bit for fishing and single handed demonstrations on rods with these ratings. I have never yet found a rod whereby I need to go up a line rating. I hope you like yours as I find them excellent casting and fishing lines. The only issues I have ever had with mine is the fact that I hot weld loops on all of my flylines and have never had a loop fail with the exception of the Barrio's. The coating is very soft and supple and I have tried a number of different methods for the hot weld and a number of different materials and nothing works. It is therefore either a needle knot on a short length of heavy nylon or a braided loop. The other downside is the lines don't tend to have a very long life and if you fish quite a bit you will be lucky to get 3 seasons out of one. At thirty odd quid though it tends not to matter too much.
          Last edited by laffingravy; 17-09-2015, 18:28.
          www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

That sounds good.
            As you say, if you get 3 seasons out of them for £36, That isn`t too bad!
            Thanks.

Comment

I am somewhat ashamed to say that i am still using a Bruce + Walker hexograph rod that i bought about 25 years ago.I think it is rated as sea trout/grilse.It has served well over the years,but looks like a telegraph pole compared to more modern rods.Can someone suggest a replacement.It is probably time i "splashed" out.

Comment

I don't wish to contradict you but I feel that 25 years use out of a rod should be something to be proud of and certainly not ashamed. I honestly believe in this day and age there is no such thing as a bad rod regardless of brand or budget. Some rods don't work too well with certain lines but as long as you match your rod with line then it doesn't need to be expensive or complicated. The other consideration is its approaching the end of the season and tackle dealers will have fairly empty shops and pretty desperate to sell stuff. Why not visit a shop and ask to take a selection down to a piece of water. A lot of the shops up here let you do this. Try the rods with the lines you intend to use and once you pick one shop around after the season end for a deal?
                www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Thank you.I pass Fishtec at Brecon now and again.I will call in.

Comment

Working...
                  X