Pause For Thought

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pause For Thought

A short clip of 2 double Spey casts utilised on the right bank of a beat on the River Eden. I put the video together to emphasis the pause after the initial lift which unsticks line fro the water. At this point we can pause for as long as we like since the line is going nowhere until we direct it to. Some anglers have a tendency to rush into the upstream positioning of the line which is bad practice. After positioning the line upstream there is another pause introduced since there is loads of time available to us and there is no rush. Pausing will help ensure consistency of lift. After the pause there is a lift introduced which has the net effect of unsticking line from the water and this helps considerable in making our next sweep quiet - minimal surface disturbance before we pause again as the D or V loop matures prior to delivery. If we wish to make longer distance casts then no extra effort is required it is just a case of changing the delivery trajectory and delivering the line higher at the stop point. I hope that the clip proves of some use to some of you. The clients I put it together for found it useful. The rod is a 13ft G Loomis NRX and the line is a 34g shooting head. The technique for full Spey lines is essentially the same but with longer pauses to allow for the difference in length of the head. There is a salmon lie directly where I am casting but with the colour of the water and my extremely limited ability to catch fish I don't manage to latch on to anything.

Last edited by laffingravy; 03-09-2015, 08:09.
    www.silversalmon.co.uk

If anybody would like clarification on any aspect then please just ask on the open board or pm me.
    www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Very clear. I find that un-sticking the line prior to the lift and then re-sticking just before the cast helps (me). I'm not a fan of the line ripping on the surface, especially on smaller rivers...hope that makes sense!
      https://onthedangle.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
      X