gye nets / seatrout/salmon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gye nets / seatrout/salmon

Hi - Can anyone out there offer recommendations or otherwise on gye nets please, I'm looking for dual purpose seatrout/salmon, what is a good size & make.

Thanks

Hi Pickawindow,

Personally I would probably go for a 24" Sharpe's gye net. This is a reasonable compromise between safely accommodating a decent fish and still being portable to carry on your own. The 30" version is really very useful if you find yourself in contact with a good fish, but it is unwieldy to carry and use on your own. If someone else was netting a really good fish of mine I would choose the 30" model in an ideal world. I must admit to owning both. The Sharpe's net is a sturdy no nonsense piece of kit which should give many years of service. Another similar design is the Whitlock range, which is also very popular, and is another to consider. Both brands are widely available and it is worth shopping around for the best price.

All the best
    Phil

Comment

For me it's the Whitlock 24". easy to carry, extending handle when needed and it's a perfect dual purpose size. Had mine for years and still giving good service, but it ain't cheap.
      Cap

Comment

(:,

Good advice here.

I personally use a Sharpes Belmont ST net but doubt very much it could cope with anything bigger than a decent grilse or small summer salmon.

For Gyes I know the Whitlock are highly rated and you'd also have to go a long way to beat a Sharpes.

Either should do you proud and last for donkeys years.

Jon

Comment

Thanks for the advice - 24" Sharpes seems like a good bet,

Tight lines.

Comment

Just got a 24" gye net from Garry Evans where they are on sale, reduced from £60 to £20. Solid net, good construction, though the sling that came with it needs work. He does his own sling as well for another fiver which may be better.

Comment

Working...
            X