Quality of Rapala Hooks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality of Rapala Hooks?

I would be interested to hear some members views on this subject. I was fortunate enough to land a 12lb Teifi salmon recently on a 'Husky Jerk' Rapala. I was less than happy to find on landing the fish, that the holding treble had badly staightened. Bearing in mind I was using a pretty soft 9ft spinning rod, 12lb line and only maintaining steady pressure I was disappointed that the hook distorted. On examination the other trebles on my Rapalas seem ok but it does leave a doubt in my mind. Anyway I have changed the trebles on my lures now but I would be interested if other members see this as an isolated example or a problem in general with Rapalas.

All the best
    Phil

Originally posted by Waddington View Post
    I would be interested to hear some members views on this subject. I was fortunate enough to land a 12lb Teifi salmon recently on a 'Husky Jerk' Rapala. I was less than happy to find on landing the fish, that the holding treble had badly staightened. Bearing in mind I was using a pretty soft 9ft spinning rod, 12lb line and only maintaining steady pressure I was disappointed that the hook distorted. On examination the other trebles on my Rapalas seem ok but it does leave a doubt in my mind. Anyway I have changed the trebles on my lures now but I would be interested if other members see this as an isolated example or a problem in general with Rapalas.

All the best
    Phil
    Hi Phil,i have to say that i've had quite a few salmon on Rapala's and have never had a problem with the hooks e.g straightening or easily blunting so i wouldn't be to concerned too much on the whole.The hooks are VMC'S and are usually very reliable so i wouldn't lose too much sleep about using them in the future .Also be warned,don't get them into your fingers~#as they are a bugger to get out ouch!!!

SG
    Last edited by stargazer; 16-08-2008, 13:30.

Comment

Hi Phil, after changing the hooks on all your Rapalas, you may want to check that the action/balance of the lure has not been altered. Take the old hooks to the river with you just in case the lure does not swim right.

Steve.

Comment

Hooks

Well done on the fish,the first thing I do when I get a new Rapala is change the hooks ,go a size larger and put on extra strong vmc or eagle claw hooks,the hooks they use now are better than what they used to be but I dont mess around.About 5 years back I was straighting them out on fish a lot ,and watch the split rings they can do the same thing.Hope this helpfull to you.Twm Twm.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, very useful and most appreciated. I was not impressed with the hook in question as it definitely distorted far too easily. I have not really done a lot of spinning with rapalas in the past, but this year I've given them a go and been very pleased with a few successes.|\ Hopefully the advice on this thread might be useful to a few other members and help avert disaster!

Phil

Comment

I do the same as twmtwm..size larger and up a gadge in thickness with 2 strong split rings..and one tail treble on the plug I take off the others I dont think a fish needs 9 points sticking in the mouth... easier to release too.
            Glyn

Comment

Originally posted by Glyn View Post
              I do the same as twmtwm..size larger and up a gadge in thickness with 2 strong split rings..and one tail treble on the plug I take off the others I dont think a fish needs 9 points sticking in the mouth... easier to release too.
              Glyn
              As TwmTWM states the quality of the rapala hooks has now improved the old batches were using Mustad hooks and were very soft and would be easily opened,I bought a couple of rapalas recently in Haverfordwest and those had Mustad hooks and copper split rings so had too change them .so beware there are old stocks still about in some tackle shops. I use rapalas a lot and find them great fish attractors but i have to say that i do lose a lot of fish on them(i use size 7 normally small river)with the jointed versions slightly better hookers but its a lot of fun getting the offers even if you dont connnect every time. thats fishing..

Comment

I've only just started using rapalas having used mainly flying c's up until now what do you consider the best setup as regards swivels (if any) and knots any suggestions would be appreciated

Steve M

Comment

Hi Steve,the set up i use is simple ,from my main line(20-30lb braid) i put on a ball bearing swivel (a must) then 2-3 ft of mono, usally 18lbs i wouldnt go any lighter in this water,then a rapala knot.Simple.

Comment

The last few salmon i've had have been on the CD 11 fire tiger which i hit 5 and landed 3 so that's not bad hook rate and when i do change my hook's i use the VMC perfection as it's all most a perfect match or it might even be the same hook and i use the size 10 for my small waddy's and i definately landed more fish since i started with them.:>

Comment

I wish i had your luck pal, the last 5 salmon ive hooked on 11cm rapalas, i landed none of them. Very good attractors, just dont seem to hook as well as condoms.

Comment

Yes,i always change my hooks of my CD rapala.:>

Comment

The Tweed rules state that only one treble can be used & so they rig them by taking all the hooks & split rings off except the front split ring on a 2 treble size or the middle one on a three hook size.Then using a heated needle to make a hole in the diving vane at the middle just below where it protrudes from the 'chin' of the lure.

The line is threaded thru' the nose eye & then thru' the remaining split ring on the front/ middle eye [as above]. A split ring of equal size is then fitted to a good quality treble and the end of the line tied to this split ring which leaves the rapala free running on the line like a Devon minnow or Kynoch Killer.

Finally a twist of lead wire [say 1 inch long when doubled & twisted] is fitted to the rear most eye on the rapala - this ensures it casts tail first without tumbling in the air & prevents it for wobbling too quickly in the water as it no longer has the tail treble.

When a fish is hooked the lure slides up the line & prevents the salmon/ sewin from levering off the hook by rolling etc, fish loss rates are reduced compared to the standard rig & if you are clever & fish a reduced breaking strain link between the treble & its attached split ring, then you are far less likely to lose the lure either - just the treble, if snagged.

I don't spin / plug fish a lot nowadays, but have used this rig when spring conditions have been horrible & can vouch for its effectiveness, also if a fish is being returned it is generally going to be less damaged than with a multi hook lure & is less likely to get entangled in the net.

Regards, Tyke.
                          Last edited by Tyke; 19-08-2008, 14:08. Reason: typo

Comment

Just looking on the Rapala website and noticed two different knots, the rapala for tying directly to the nose ring and the double loop knot if using a swivel, all of my rapalas came with a swivel is it best to remove the swivel or leave it on and use the double loop knot

Steve M {;

Comment

Working...
                            X