Reducing hooks on flying c's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing hooks on flying c's

I'm wanting to downscale the trebles on my flying c's to either a single or double point, and was interested in views on:
    - whether a single or double offers the best chance of hook-up, and best hold?
    - whether snipping off the points will damage the integrity/strength of the remaining hook?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

I seem to remember donkey's years ago there was an article in T&S where singles, doubles and trebles were tested for hooking efficiency, albeit with regard to fly hooks. Doubles it reckoned were better hookers than trebles. Also singles with an off-set point were pretty good.

As far as snipping off one of the hooks on a treble goes, since one hook is welded(?) to a double, snipping it off where the bend meets the shank shouldn't weaken it, giving you a double with a straight eye. Off-the-shelf double all seem to be up-eyed.

I wouldn't go as far as snipping off two of the hooks to give you a single, but if you want a single, at the back end of last season TT posted a link for 'in-line' singles, however AGM don't do them any more, but you can get them from Pecheur.com as barbed or barbless at similar prices.

Barbed - http://www.pecheur.com/en/gb/buy-sal...237-97665.html
    Barbless - http://www.pecheur.com/en/gb/buy-bar...238-97666.html

They also do barbless trebles, but only in packs of 100!

Hope any of this helps

Ron

Comment

Very helpful - Many thanks Ron!

Comment

I can see why you'd want to it,in 2012 when it rained non stop I was fishing the Dwyfor on a flood on a Rapala and caught a nice 4lb sewin but the hooks literally ripped under the fishes mouth apart,ok as I was keeping it anyway but there's no chance that fish could of gone back?

Comment

Working...
        X