Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing gorges

I'm after more advice I'm afraid!

This year I have membership of both Llangadog and Cross Hands and I've been trying to fish the gorge-type beats on the Teifi below Alltacarfan bridge, the Henllys beat on the upper Tywi and the Dyffryn Uchaf beat on the Cothi - all to no avail. If you're unfamiliar with them, these beats are characterised by narrow water with deep pools running through steep rock-sided channels. Some of the pools are slow-flowing, others faster, often with quite fast runs in between.

I've tried fishing the beats with upstream- and drifted dry flies, wet flies and nymphs, and spinners - cast upstream and brought back with the current and more conventionally cast across. However, since the waters are narrow there usually isn't much room for the spinners to swing round on cross-stream casts, so I've also tried casting almost directly downstream, fished on the dangle and brought back up. The one method I haven't tried is running a worm through, mainly because I've hardly ever fished worms and I don't really know what I'm doing.

Any advice would, as always, be very gratefully appreciated.

Must admit that whilst these deep places hold some very big sewin,tryin to catch em can prove to be almost impossible,I've found that if there are parts where there is bedrock over about four feet of water then that's a good place to fish,otherwise over the very deep black water I'd say a jambo of some other surface lure is a good way to go as the fish have more of a chance of seeing the fly I reckon.

Comment

A running worm at first light if the water is low

Comment

Originally posted by jj1 View Post
        A running worm at first light if the water is low
        The worm was what I was thinking does that make us both brilliant! I think it does.

Mintylad

Comment

Making sure the fish don't see you of course.
          Tight Lines
          Aled

Comment

Working...
          X