• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mallard And Claret

The Dressing

Hook: Daiichi Hans Van Klinken Bomber size 6
    Thread:Black
    Tail: Golden pheasant tippets
    Body: A small pinch of claret baby seals fur (halved then halved then halved again then dubbed)
    Rib: Fine silver wire
    Hackle: Chevron Hackles grizzle hen saddle dyed black
    Wing: A rolled bunch of extra large bronze mallard fibres
    www.silversalmon.co.uk

Great looking fly LG. I wish I could get my mallard wings to look like that. I usually fold my wings so I think I'll try rolling them instead. Do you use mallard shoulder feathers?

Comment

Originally posted by silverstoat View Post
      Do you use mallard shoulder feathers?

If you speak to Toby Merigan at Funky Fly Tying and ask him for some of his x/l bronze mallard it really does the job. It is among the best bronze mallard that I have ever used and most importantly the quality of the fibres is consistent.
      www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
        If you speak to Toby Merigan at Funky Fly Tying and ask him for some of his x/l bronze mallard it really does the job. It is among the best bronze mallard that I have ever used and most importantly the quality of the fibres is consistent.
        Will do. Thanks LG.

Comment

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post

The Dressing

Hook: Daiichi Hans Van Klinken Bomber size 6
          Thread:Black
          Tail: Golden pheasant tippets
          Body: A small pinch of claret baby seals fur (halved then halved then halved again then dubbed)
          Rib: Fine silver wire
          Hackle: Chevron Hackles grizzle hen saddle dyed black
          Wing: A rolled bunch of extra large bronze mallard fibres
          Fantastic LG, many thanks for sharing the dressing.

A brace of fresh Sea Trout up to 3lb. caught last night.
          I have allowed a pod to go by me for you tonight, I would not do it, for everyone!

Regards, holly.

Comment

Lovely fly LG, I've never tried it in the bigger sizes (beyond a 10) will have to tie a few up.

Comment

Haven't used it for years . I done well on pre dusk on the Teifi in Penteacagal back in the days. Going to tie some up for the low water. Nice tradition fly.
              Well done

Comment

One of those universal great sea trout patterns that has such a good track record,I remember an old bloke on the Ribble who would start fishing on an evening before dark and his catches would be made up of grayling,trout,salmon and sea trout all in one session using the mallard n claret to outstanding effect,he always out fished everyone else using more"trendier"patterns of today.

Speaking of the Ribble,does anyone remember an amazing catch of sea trout back in 2005 taken from the famed Calderfoot pool?the bloke in question had been telling non believers for years of a early run of very large sea trout in May,as it went it was June when he made a historic catch of a 22lb,18lb,15lb and 12lb sea trout all in one night followed up by two more doubles the day after,he'd been waiting for em to appear and he'd spotted em in June,all caught on his own gold head flies with a black hackle and bare hook shank,has to rank as the finest catch of sea trout anywhere in the UK I reckon,a full page story appeared in T&S.

Re the mallard n claret,I think bronze mallard is such a good material for sea trout flies,I prefer to tie it in the old fashioned method which some modern books would say was upside down,basically it's using the natural curve of the feather.

Comment

Working...
                X