Tidal lagoon Swansea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tidal lagoon Swansea

Just heard that the UK government has given permission.The company involved are talking about others around the Welsh coast.Screw generators may pale into insignificance.

Another nail in the coffin!

Comment

There is no logic to this project.
      The electricity will be the most expensive in the world.
      It will destroy the natural beauty of Swansea bay.
      Doubts exist about its reliability
      It will screw up migratory fish
      Said to be a testst bed .
      What is the carbon footprint and will the electricity generated offset this
      Morphfly

Comment

It is not just this one,it is the ones that follow.I agree totally morphfly.There is now a precedent.If we get one on the Teifi estuary,migratory fish will have to get past the lagoon,15 nets,and ,god knows how many Archimedes screw generators.It could be goodnight Vienna.

Comment

Get your boobies and your buzzers out won't be long and it be rainbow bashing or a long drive to some far off river that hasn't yet got a lagoon. Why they can't just sink a load of turbines in the Bristol channel I don't know. The second highest tidal range in the world and yet they can't fathom out how to harness the immense power without effing up the surrounding environment is beyond me. Why is common sense at the back of people's minds . One billion pounds for something that they are not sure as to it efficiency and that is not including the cost the catchment. The NRW are running a project on the Tawe catchment apparently to the effects of habitat management and yet this construction is going to happen. That's all our licence fees pissed up the wall!

Anyone for golf?

Mintylad

Comment

Originally posted by grey duster View Post
            It is not just this one,it is the ones that follow.I agree totally morphfly.There is now a precedent.If we get one on the Teifi estuary,migratory fish will have to get past the lagoon,15 nets,and ,god knows how many Archimedes screw generators.It could be goodnight Vienna.

Can I echo Grey Duster's sentiments ...like me an 'experienced' angler.
            For the more juvenile amongst us, you will need to be familiar with the following melody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o38Qwz1j8KQ

Comment

have any of you seen the plans then???? a tidal lagoon does not block the river at all . it seams a good idea as long as the river is not blocked

Comment

Brigydon.I am not quite that old:>

It must be an expression i remember my grandparents using !

Comment

Originally posted by mal View Post
                  have any of you seen the plans then???? a tidal lagoon does not block the river at all . it seams a good idea as long as the river is not blocked
                  The chief executive of the Angling Trust said there could be “significant damage” to local and regional populations of fish already under threat like bass, salmon and sea trout.
                  The Tidal Lagoon Swansea Bay director of construction said the company had worked for several years with independent experts on the environmental impact of the lagoon and said the impact on migrating fish would be “manageable” and “minimal”.

Worth the risk?

Comment

Originally posted by grey duster View Post
                    Brigydon.I am not quite that old:>

It must be an expression i remember my grandparents using !
                    Yes I realised that Grey Duster. The film musical was released in 1932! ... my grandparents also used the phrase, although you don't hear it often these days . I suspect however, it will become part of the mainstream angling vocabulary in South Wales if the lagoon gets the go-ahead!

Comment

Working...
                    X