Toby advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toby advice

Hi What weight Tobys are best for sea trout it seems from what ive read large ones would create to much of a splash and spook them.
    Last edited by Wilkie; 10-06-2015, 17:31.

Depends on the water level/colour I think Wilkie. Very little will spook them in high/coloured water, which is when you would probably be using a toby. Same applies to a flying c, which probably does even more of a splash, but certainly takes its share of fish.

Not a fan of tobys though, would personally stick with mepps, rapalas and flying Cs.

If you do stick with tobys the weight would largely be determined by the water level and clarity; heavier and larger for higher/more coloured water then smaller and lighter for clearing or lower water.

Tight lines,

TT.

Comment

I used to fish the toby alot, they are great for fluttering through flats in high water
      Cast squarish or down and across, pay out a yard of line to allow it to settle, raise the rod and let the current flutter it back to your side. Weight and size depended on current and depth.
      But, i have long since realised (unless the rivers bank high) that what you can do with a spinner you can do with a fly, and in many cases the fly will will outfish a spinner.

Comment

Originally posted by jj1 View Post
        I used to fish the toby alot, they are great for fluttering through flats in high water
        Cast squarish or down and across, pay out a yard of line to allow it to settle, raise the rod and let the current flutter it back to your side. Weight and size depended on current and depth.
        But, i have long since realised (unless the rivers bank high) that what you can do with a spinner you can do with a fly, and in many cases the fly will will outfish a spinner.
        Exactly what I've been saying for a good few years.
        Spot on |\|\|\

Cap

Comment

Originally posted by jj1 View Post
          Very true and good advice |\

TT.

Comment

Working...
          X