Peacock tail sword/feathers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peacock tail sword/feathers

Hi there, I had a very interesting conversation yesterday evening, with reference to the above. The gentleman quoted "the reason the peacock feather is quite effective, is because it gives off light, even on a dark night, more than most materials used for Sea Trout wings". Can anyone consolidate this statement?
    Thanks in anticipation, holly.

It has a natural iridescent, and certainly shimmers in the water. It is a material that I would not be without and has fantastic uses in the fly tying world. Indeed, a couple of my favourite patterns would incorporate a wing made solely out of fibres from the peacock eye.

I'm not sure about 'giving off light' but it certainly acts well regarding utilising and reflecting any residual light.

This may be of interest regarding the properties of the feathers:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ockcolors.html

TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
      It has a natural iridescent, and certainly shimmers in the water. It is a material that I would not be without and has fantastic uses in the fly tying world. Indeed, a couple of my favourite patterns would incorporate a wing made solely out of fibres from the peacock eye.

I'm not sure about 'giving off light' but it certainly acts well regarding utilising and reflecting any residual light.

This may be of interest regarding the properties of the feathers:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ockcolors.html

TT.
      Many thanks TT, I think that is what he meant, I have had fantastic results with a fly dressed with peacock fibres. I have to admit, it works for me, better than my favourite Silver Stoat's Tail fly.

Regards, holly.

Comment

Originally posted by holly View Post
        Many thanks TT, I think that is what he meant, I have had fantastic results with a fly dressed with peacock fibres. I have to admit, it works for me, better than my favourite Silver Stoat's Tail fly.

Regards, holly.

Heyup Yorkshire,

pray tell what is your ultra secret pattern and where can I get some for myself? I have many sheckels jingle jangling away in my rear pocket. I can part with these very readily for a deadly pattern such as the one that you hold so dear and so secret....................hang on a minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Peacock

Was given a dozen full length peacock tail feathers a few years ago while on holiday in France by a lovely old lady who bred the birds for the table so had hundreds to spare. Have stored them well and they are as good as new. I have tied a few hurls on some snake flies which i have yet to use but they won't reflect much light on a pitch dark night. However the vibes in the water should make them attractive i think. One or two of the old salmon flies i posted on here have a few small hurls on them and i may tie a few salmon flies on doubles with some, perhaps in the style of the classic atlantic salmon fly and fling 'em out with my new found double handed rod skills!! What do you think?:?

cheers

Tomtom.

Comment

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
            Heyup Yorkshire,

pray tell what is your ultra secret pattern and where can I get some for myself? I have many sheckels jingle jangling away in my rear pocket. I can part with these very readily for a deadly pattern such as the one that you hold so dear and so secret....................hang on a minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Hi LG, I have been informed that Sea Trout are present in the next beat below Arkholme and as far up as Tebay. Use iridescent wings and you could be in for a surprise LG.
            Regards, holly.
            I have been offered two jobs (i) a selective school in Calderdale (HOF) and one in Penrith. If I was to take any it would have to be near a Sea Trout and Salmon River.
            Comments please LG (constructive).

Comment

Originally posted by Thom View Post
              Was given a dozen full length peacock tail feathers a few years ago while on holiday in France by a lovely old lady who bred the birds for the table so had hundreds to spare. Have stored them well and they are as good as new. I have tied a few hurls on some snake flies which i have yet to use but they won't reflect much light on a pitch dark night. However the vibes in the water should make them attractive i think. One or two of the old salmon flies i posted on here have a few small hurls on them and i may tie a few salmon flies on doubles with some, perhaps in the style of the classic atlantic salmon fly and fling 'em out with my new found double handed rod skills!! What do you think?:?

cheers

Tomtom.
              Cheers Thom, any fly with peacock tail feathers, gives me inspiration.
              Regards, HH.

Comment

Hi LG, I have been informed that Sea Trout are present in the next beat below Arkholme and as far up as Tebay. Use iridescent wings and you could be in for a surprise LG.
                Regards, holly.
                I have been offered two jobs (i) a selective school in Calderdale (HOF) and one in Penrith. If I was to take any it would have to be near a Sea Trout and Salmon River.
                Comments please LG (constructive).

Personally I would be looking at which was the best school to teach at but if you are looking at things from a purely fishing point of view then Penrith has the Eden running along side it and this year it is having a highly respectable salmon run.
                The sea trout run on the Eden is ok but I personally feel that the sea trout run on the Lune is exceptional and is continuing to improve.

Regarding your comments regarding current fish movements on the Lune. There are now sea trout all the way through the system and oddly enough salmon have been caught this week. There was a fresh run 19lb fish caught on Luneside Fisheries at the bottom end of the river this morning. There was also one off there a couple of days ago and you already know about the fish at Aughton and Whittington. There are salmon now reported on your own beat at KL.

I have fished today at Wetheral again and was gonna swing by Rigmaden on the way home but I'm teaching early tomorrow so can't really afford to be out until daft o' clock. I'm gonna do Wetheral again tomorrow afternoon and can't do Rigmaden tomorrow night because I'm teaching early doors again on Sunday. There are lots of fish about and this is the most optimistic that I can ever remember feeling.

I will ring you tomorrow and talk to you about stuff. If you want some of the peacock sworded wee beasties then I will be tying up on Tuesday night after work. I will rattle half a dozen up for you. We can discuss this tomorrow.
                www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
                  Personally I would be looking at which was the best school to teach at but if you are looking at things from a purely fishing point of view then Penrith has the Eden running along side it and this year it is having a highly respectable salmon run.
                  The sea trout run on the Eden is ok but I personally feel that the sea trout run on the Lune is exceptional and is continuing to improve.

Regarding your comments regarding current fish movements on the Lune. There are now sea trout all the way through the system and oddly enough salmon have been caught this week. There was a fresh run 19lb fish caught on Luneside Fisheries at the bottom end of the river this morning. There was also one off there a couple of days ago and you already know about the fish at Aughton and Whittington. There are salmon now reported on your own beat at KL

I have fished today at Wetheral again and was gonna swing by Rigmaden on the way home but I'm teaching early tomorrow so can't really afford to be out until daft o' clock. I'm gonna do Wetheral again tomorrow afternoon and can't do Rigmaden tomorrow night because I'm teaching early doors again on Sunday. There are lots of fish about and this is the most optimistic that I can ever remember feeling.

I will ring you tomorrow and talk to you about stuff. If you want some of the peacock sworded wee beasties then I will be tying up on Tuesday night after work. I will rattle half a dozen up for you. We can discuss this tomorrow.
                  Cheers LG, you are a star. I hope to fish the Lune Sunday night, after your wonderful inspirational email. Thanks for all your advice, very much appreciated.

Regards, HH.

Comment

Lune Fishing

Cheers LG, you are a star. I hope to fish the Lune Sunday night, after your wonderful inspirational email. Thanks for all your advice, very much appreciated.

Regards, HH.
                    Hi LG, hoping to fish the Lune this coming Sunday night, subject to level and conditions. How about you?

Peter from Arkholme has been in touch with me and invited me to fish with him in June or July.

Will you fish at Rigmaden this weekend, or, are you otherwise engaged?

Regards, holly.

Comment

Peacock herl is an amazing material esp the swords,lots of old patterns used it,the Beauly snow fly being one and of course any Jock Scott without ceases to be a Jock.
                      What I like about Steffs patterns is that they're all very much grounded in the classics,they worked then so why not now.
                      A fav pattern of mine is a waddington dressed up as Peter Ross with JC cheeks and a few peacock swords,it's taken fish everywhere I've fished,I have confidence in it basically which is half the battle I reckon?

Comment

If it's not broken don't fix it

I LOVE peacock in my flies and think it's a fantastic natural material for all manner of flies, but especially so for sea trout flies.

I believe historically that the alexander fly, which obviously incorporates a peacock wing, was seen as a form of cheating and a fly of last resort - almost like what booby flies are regarded today.

I particularly like the really fine but long strands towards the top of the eye of the peacock feather, just before you start to hit the green/blue section. That section has fantastic movement and colour.

TT.

Comment

Yes you're quite right about the Alexander fly,it was actually banned on a number of venues,can't remember which ones,think it was trout lakes like Leven and a number in Wales also.knowing this we'd be mad not to take this fly seriously if it was seen as unfair means it must of been a real killer of trout,maybe like the shrimp is for salmon?

You know there were some beautiful flies in frames in the Porth hotel,the sewin flies in particular were really superb,whilst simple,they were just so perfectly done with peacock herl,using both left n right swords to make beautiful little Tandem flies ect,Dai said he'd used his flies for Trout fishing ect and said they were just too perfect to use,I'm sure as a flytyer yourself Steffan you will appreciate those flies?

Comment

The Alexandra and it's many variants are as relevant today as they ever were. If truth be known they are probably more relevant. Certainly for sea trout there is pattern that draws extremely strong influence from it that I am reliably informed that in South Wales and I can reliably inform you that in the North Of England absolutely batters sea trout. Easy to see then why in days gone by the pattern was viewed with disdain for being too successful.
                            www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

The Alexander and anything with peacock herl in it just gives me confidence,I reckon we can be as fickle as the fish were hunting and it may sound odd to some but having confidence in a fly can make a difference of wether we catch or not,I really do believe that as I've fished like a drain when I'm not confident,which often leads to missed takes as I'm not switched on as it were.

Comment

Working...
                              X