Stick - on - eyes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick - on - eyes

Hi there, I have been reading James Waltham's excellent book on Sea Trout Fishing, and he is very enthusiastic about using eyes on tube flies and flies in general. I have spoken with an experienced gillie who endorses this statement.

I am quite happy to use jungle cock on my tubes, but, my question is "does anyone else agree with his statement".

Regards, HH.

I know of a couple of boys who use them on sunray shadows and swear by them if it gives you confidence then it's got to be worth it.

Mintylad ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by mintylad View Post
      I know of a couple of boys who use them on sunray shadows and swear by them if it gives you confidence then it's got to be worth it.

Mintylad ;-)
      Cheers mintylad.

Regards, holly

Comment

i use the all the time works for me

Comment

Holly, of an evening I tend to lye in the bath and relax with back issues of trout and salmon. Tonight whilst bathing I thought of you, don't worry this isn't going on to any improper thoughts. In March 2014 there's ab article that mentions eyes on flies and explains that predatory fish eat their prey head first to prevent them from getting stuck. Not sure how much you can gain from this little snippet of information but I just thought it relevant to your initial post. Hope this helps (apart from the bit about me thinking about you in the bath;-) ).

Mintylad.

Comment

Originally posted by mintylad View Post
            Holly, of an evening I tend to lye in the bath and relax with back issues of trout and salmon. Tonight whilst bathing I thought of you, don't worry this isn't going on to any improper thoughts. In March 2014 there's ab article that mentions eyes on flies and explains that predatory fish eat their prey head first to prevent them from getting stuck. Not sure how much you can gain from this little snippet of information but I just thought it relevant to your initial post. Hope this helps (apart from the bit about me thinking about you in the bath;-) ).

Mintylad.
            Cheers mintylad, a very interesting snippet.
            I know a few river keepers, who swear by jungle cock used, especially on tube flies. They quote " the fish target the eyes on a tube fly", this may endorse the article that you so kindly shared with us!

Regards, holly.

Comment

Yes, they will tend to attack head first, as the following two images will help highlight.

Whilst this has some significance in the daytime, I think it has very little significance at night. I think a strike point can be important, but not as important as length, depth and overall silhouette.

TT.

Comment

By the way, these are great for them:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nail-Art-9...item3cf1a8dfaf

You can get them in different colours and diameters. Just attach to the head of e.g. your tube then varnish/glue over. Easy and effective.

TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
                  By the way, these are great for them:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nail-Art-9...item3cf1a8dfaf

You can get them in different colours and diameters. Just attach to the head of e.g. your tube then varnish/glue over. Easy and effective.

TT.
                  Many thanks TT, it is quite amazing how everyone is willing to help and, go the extra mile to help.
                  Once again, very much appreciated.
                  Regards, HH.

Comment

Working...
                  X