Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sightfree fluorocarbon

Evening all.

I fished the Tywi this afternoon and evening for brownies on dry fly using 5lb Sightfree fluorocarbon. I cut off and replaced a good 12m of the stuff because it kept winding into tight coils as if it had been wound tightly around a pencil - so much so that each time I took the fly off the water it started to spin as the fluorocarbon unwound itself, only to cool back up immediately on re-casting. Needless to say it stood out horribly on the surface of the water and made the fly move unnaturally, which served to scare the fish away from the fly.

This is the first time I've used Sightfree, having bought a few spools of difference breaking strains on a BOGOF from Fishtec a few weeks ago. I never had this issue with the Rio and Frog fluorocarbon I've used in previous seasons.

Has anybody else had the same problem with it, is it a known issue, or am I doing something wrong?

I had a problem with riverage but that was knot strength, these fancy lines aren't for me, fulling mill and mud work well.

Comment

Not sure Dai, but the Sightfree G3 is my go-to fluoro and I have every confidence in it. It is, however, relatively limp, especially so for a fluorocarbon. If you are after something stiffer then try the fulling mill worldclass, which is also fantastic fluorocarbon. Check the diameters though, as you will find it much thicker compared to G3, where, for example 5lbs fulling mill may the same thickness as 7lbs G3 - in which case you could just use the 7lbs G3 as it will probably be the same stiffness

TT.

Comment

I have found the fulling mill much stronger, so before when l would use a riverage of say 9lb, with fulling mill l would use 7lb for the same conditions. In my mind but not proven the fulling mill is stronger that what is shown on the label.

When fish become leader shy, l apply some mud to rid the shine.

So far it has worked well on still waters and for sea trout fishing.

Comment

Yes, exactly Chris. Mainly down to diameters, with fulling mill using the maxima ultragreen tactic

For example on 7lbs, they compare as follows, if you believe the labels anyway:

Fulling mill 0.235mm
          Airflo G3 0.19mm
          Riverge grand max (7.5lb) 0.185mm

TT.

Comment

Working...
          X