some snakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some snakes

First attempt at tying some snake flies on wire traces, middle one based on Falkus' sunk lure. Also first post on this forum, loving the other patterns on here, lots of inspiration :>
    Attached Files

Nice flies gary they should do the trick, what size are these? Need to have a go at these myself one day have never tried to make one as yet|\
    theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

Were 2.5ins, but in hindsight looked too long so have cut them down to 1.5ins and proportions look better, will repost new pics once I get a chance. The falkus sunk lure one I've left longer, he recommended bigger size so will try it out first before changing, hopefully out next weekend on the Earn to see how they go.:>

Comment

Snakes alive!

Nice snake flies gary. Have you also tried using braided monofilament as basic bodies; as an alternative to wire? Not being quite so stiff as wire, they tend to impart a bit more lateral movement and vibration in the water.|\

well done

Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by Thom View Post
          Nice snake flies gary. Have you also tried using braided monofilament as basic bodies; as an alternative to wire? Not being quite so stiff as wire, they tend to impart a bit more lateral movement and vibration in the water.|\

well done

Tom.
          Cheers Tom. Re using braid, thought I'd try wire first to get the hang of tying snakes before trying braid as it looks more awkward what with not having a solid body to tie to. Have watched the sbs on the forum so thats the next step.

Saying that, although its a narrow gauge the wire does give it some added weight for getting down without using lead, and the hook does pivot on the wire so not dissimilar to a large tube. Guess the best test is on the water!:>

Comment

Working...
          X