a matter of etiquette.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a matter of etiquette.

Gentleman I am hoping that you will help with a query of river etiquette. Imagine yourself to be a short way through fishing a spot you have been watching a while with a few nice trout rising. The intention is to try and winkle a couple out by fishing up with a dry fly. After a while a salmon angler desends upon the location with the intention of fishing down with a "wet" fly and takes no consideration that his actions will in all probability seriously affect your sport.

My query is this. Who has right of way and if no regard for your sport is appreciated what course of action would you take?

This situation hasn't actually occurred but there are one or two places I can think of where certain person might feel they have presidence as I am only fishing for trout and salmon fishing has a priority.

Answers on a postcard to the usual address.

Many thanks

Mintylad

I used to get this on a regular basis on caaa waters, i may have already been fishing up and across, wading upstream for sewin when a spin fisherman would get into the water above me and wade straight at me! I generaly had to let them pass as the club rules stated, not to enter a pool below another angler, and to take a step downstream between each cast. So that spelt out that that club was geared towards the salmon angler. Other clubs have time limits on pools, ie its yours for 30 min etc , others dont have rules at all regarding this matter and rely on the goodwill of the fishers.

Comment

Mintylad
      The copy of Llandysul rules i am looking at state
      No member shall stand closer than 15 yards from the next fisherman.
      A limit of one hour is allowed to a member in the event of another member waiting to fish the same pool for salmon;and no angler shall remain in one position on the river bank for more than one hour when other members are waiting to fish.When night fishing for sewin the one hour limit includes waiting time.

You have an hour and thats your lot:>

Comment

What I was trying to get at was do clubs consider trout anglers to be a lower teir of member in relation to their silver trophy cousins?

Mintylad

Comment

On the tywi more so than anywhere else, it doesnt have the history of trout fishing that say the usk or teifi or tawe has.

Comment

Originally posted by mintylad View Post
            Gentleman I am hoping that you will help with a query of river etiquette. Imagine yourself to be a short way through fishing a spot you have been watching a while with a few nice trout rising. The intention is to try and winkle a couple out by fishing up with a dry fly. After a while a salmon angler desends upon the location with the intention of fishing down with a "wet" fly and takes no consideration that his actions will in all probability seriously affect your sport.

My query is this. Who has right of way and if no regard for your sport is appreciated what course of action would you take?

This situation hasn't actually occurred but there are one or two places I can think of where certain person might feel they have presidence as I am only fishing for trout and salmon fishing has a priority.

Answers on a postcard to the usual address.

Many thanks

Mintylad
            Hi Minty,
            It is unimportant what species of fish you are fishing for. It is only common courtesy that if you arrive at a pool where there is an angler already fishing wether he's fishing up or down the pool, there are 3 thing you can do: either wait until he's finished the pool, follow him up or down the pool or find another pool to fish. Unless the association rules state otherwise.
            Unfortunately there are some pig ignorant fishermen about especialy on the lower Teifi who for whaterver reason take great delight in walking straight past you and start fishing 15yards below you and cast over your fly line with either a spinner or bunch of worms and when questioned you are the one with an attitude problem.

Tf

Comment

Indeed TF I believe fishing to be the same as shooting in that respect. There "sportsmen" and then there are "gentlemen" I know which category I would like to think I come under but it's like they say ignorance is bliss. This is part of the reason I feel our rivers are in the state they are. If everyone was singing from the same sheet the powers that be might be more inclined to listen to our plight.
              Going for a day on the river tomorrow and hopefully will run in to a gentleman or two.

Mintylad

Comment

What I was trying to get at was do clubs consider trout anglers to be a lower teir of member in relation to their silver trophy cousins?

Mintylad

Minty, I am a member of about 7 clubs in the North Of England and North Wales and the fact is that salmon anglers take precedent on all of them. It is not a case of trout anglers being lower tier members it is merely a case of practicality. Consider the fact that salmon are scarce and generally the best conditions to catch them in are far fewer than for trout fishing.
                With this in mind the club's that I am in all regulate that salmon anglers in a pool have priority. None of the trout anglers ever object very much. In fact the majority of the salmon anglers also fish for trout and grayling. As for anglers wanging a Flying C over a trout anglers line, I am afraid if any angler did that to me fishing for salmon, trout or dolphins his next priority would be sorting out his black eye
                www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Totally agree with TeifiFlies' comments above. Regardless of club rules there is an overarching etiquette. Sometimes this is, however, a case of needing to educate as many will not know of this etiquette, especially if they are new to the sport or have graduated from lake fishing. Something for the next Current Affairs, perhaps?

TT.

Comment

Agree laffingravy.I have never had a problem.I was expecting a reaction to fishing for dolphins.I see the seals are now eating them in Carmarthen bay.

Comment

The seals are eating dolphins? Lets hope the killer whales take on the trawles next lol

Comment

According to Welsh news last week they are.Killer whales may be rather rare in
                        Welsh waters.But heres hoping.:>

Comment

Funny how a thread can change direction. No problems arose today for me as I had a beat all to myself. Can't beat a cheeky day off in the middle of the week

Comment

It is probably the silly season.
                            We are very lucky on the Teifi to have so many miles of fishing.I have always found fellow members very amiable and wanting an extended chat rather than immediately casting across your line.How did you go on?I was out last weekend and the river is low.We could do with a good downpour after a relatively dry winter.

Comment

Funny how a thread can change direction. No problems arose today for me as I had a beat all to myself. Can't beat a cheeky day off in the middle of the week

Lucky sod, I am off all this week myself but cannot go fishing. I am currently settee bound under a duvet having been to see my doctor this morning who has given me a weeks worth of penicillin. I have been coughing constantly since Saturday and cannot shake it off. Freezing cold and my back aches like a brick wall fell on it. No fishing till next weekend. How did you get on by the way?
                              www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X