Calvin Shrimp - Step By Step

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calvin Shrimp - Step By Step

Another pattern from Ross McDonald, this one was named after his son. It can be tied on hooks and tubes and has proven very successful for me on both. Once again the original pattern utilises 3 strands of Arctic Runner for the tail and once again I substitute the bottom strand for calf tail which offers support to the otther strands in flowing water and helps prevent the Arctic Runner from fouling the hook points.

Tying Materials

Tube: Veniard copper Slipstream 1" long
    Thread: Uni 8/0 fire orange
    Tag: Large Opal Mirage
    Tail: A small pouffe of red dyed calf tail overlaid with a small bunch of orange dyed Arctic Runner overlaid with 2 doubled strands of fine mother of pearl Krystalflash overlaid with cerise dyed Arctic runner.
    Body:Glister dubbing dyed orange
    Rib: Medium silver French Oval
    Wing : Orange dyed Arctic fox overlaid with 2 doubled strands of fine mother of pearl Krystalflash
    Rear hackle: Hot orange dyed hen saddle
    Cheeks: Jungle cock
    Front hackle: Red dyed badger cock saddle

Tying Method

Step 1: Secure the tube in your chosen collet. The one here is a HMH tubefly adaptor which I was recently given by a retailer in Lancaster that I do a little bit of contract work for.

Step 2: Attach thread and wind toward rear of tube.

Step 3: Cut a short length of large Opal Mirage tinsel. Trim end to an acute point and tie this end to tube.

Step 4: Wind the tinsel to form a tag. If you wish you may add a small smear of waterproof superglue for added security. I opt not to.

Step 5: Tie in a small pouffe of red dyed calf tail. This should be apporximately the same length as the body. Do not trim the waste end just yet.

Step 6: Tie in a slim bunch of orange dyed Arctic Runner. This should be approximately twice the length of the calf tail. Do not trim the waste ends just yet.

Step 7: Tie in 2 doubled lengths of fine mother of pearl Krystalflash. Gently pull the Krystalflash prior to cutting to the length of the orange Arctic Runner.

Step 8: Tie in a slim bunch of cerise dyed Arctic Runner. This buncg=h should be the same length as the red dyed calf tail.

Step 9: Wind the thread forward trapping waste ends of tail materials. Trim at front end of tube and tie in a length of medium silver French Oval. This will keep your body free of lumps, bumps and even humps.

Step 10: Take a SMALL bunch of orange Glister dubbing. Halve it in your hands and then halve it again. put the majority back in the bag and wnd the very small amount now in your hands around the thread to form a dubbing rope.

Step 11: Continue adding SMALL bunches of Glister to form an extended dubbing rope.

Step 12: Wind the dubbing in close turns to form body.

Step 13: Wind the French Oval in open turns in the opposite direction to your wound dubbbed body. This will form a rib.

Step 14: Cut a bunch of orange dyed Arctic fox. Brush it and twist the ends to blend the winging material. Remove the underfur from the cut ends. Tie in as a wing.

Step 15: Trim the waste ends of the wing and bind down. Tie in 2 doubled lengths of fine mother of pearl Krystalflash. Stretch before trimming away waste ends.

Step 17: Tie in a hot orange dyed hen saddle hackle by the tip.

Step 18: Double and wind the hackle.

Step 19: Tie in 2 jungle cock nails as cheeks. Use larger nails or they will be cloaked by the froont hackle that is tied in next.

Step 20: Bend back the stalks and tie in for extra security.

Step 21: Tie in a red dyed badger cock saddle hackle by the tip.

Step 22: Wind the hackle for 2 turns only.

Step 23: Whip finish and varnish and Robert is your fathers brother.

www.silversalmon.co.uk

Lovely |\

I'm a big fan of his Park Shrimp pattern.

TT.

Comment

Working...
    X