This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets stop the CORACLES

How can we stop the coracles on our rivers? We all need to get together politically against them, the coracle season starts on march 1st whilst fishing doesnt start until 1st april, how is that even possible, reports are that there was a 12lb sea trout caught on the towy on monday night, how crucial was this large specimen to the gene pool, us anglers for conservation have max allowed size to keep for the table, which on the teifi is 20 inches, approx 3 1/2 lbs and the coracles have a minimum size and can kill any size fish and any number, absaloutley ridicilous given the condition of fish stocks today

thats so out of order!

I don't know how they can justify that! I was unaware the coracle nets were fishing that early! It might be traditional but for Christ sake! What on earth are they doing taking such a wedge of fish so early in the year??

Comment

I agree with you Highwater,but i would rather,firstly,like to see the end of the seine nets.We are the most netted river in Wales,coracles/seine nets.I know you are right but coracles are seen as a "quaint" tradition.Get the seine nets off first then have a go at the coracles.

Comment

Yes gd i totally understand but i didnt realise these were in operation on the teifi, however after a bit of research there is two seine nets and twelve coracles, i dont know what the catch statistics are for any of these but the both are damaging the stocks, so i dont think one is worse than the other, i am meaning coracles on all welsh rivers and seine nets for that matter, im aware that i have posted in the llandysul forum. On the towy the coracles were offered £30,000 to stop netting and they turned that offer down which i couldnt believe when i heard, do you know what the catch statistics are for the coracles and seine nets? Thanks

Comment

Highwater
          If you go to page 7 of "Tefi season extension" there is a post by Jones with a link to DEFRA catch returns.Gives number of nets,number of fish etc on all Welsh rivers.

Comment

Highwater decided to create two threads on the same subject. I am locking this one, so please comment further on the other.

Comment

Working...
            X