" To extend or not to extend"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• " To extend or not to extend"

With reference to tube flies, does anyone extend the dressing beyond the treble, or do you dress them short of the treble.
    I know the snake fly is dressed like the latter, but I always dress mine like the former.

Advice will be very much appreciated as always.

I have just dressed some silver stoat's tail needle tube flies using arctic fox and they are looking good!

I will be testing them mid - May.

Regards, Holly.

Hi holly if I'm doing them for night fishing I will do them to the hook point it saves checking for hook wrapping in the dark. This way you can go all night knowing your fly is always swimming properly
    theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

Originally posted by johnevs View Post
      Hi holly if I'm doing them for night fishing I will do them to the hook point it saves checking for hook wrapping in the dark. This way you can go all night knowing your fly is always swimming properly
      Cheers John, I will dress mine using your recommendation.

Regards, Holly

Comment

I always dress mine with the wing protruding past the end of the body. I am not a fan of giving too much presence to the hook, so prefer to fish an over-length wing. To be honest I have never had an issue with the wing wrapping, but then I only fish doubles on the tubes, which helps, perhaps? If not wrapping does become an issue then you could always support the softer wing material with e.g. bucktail, as you would with a sunray.

Two different approaches and both will catch fish - each to their own

TT.

Comment

Chuffin' Hell Brian as they say in Dewsbury and all points east. With the recent and not so recent evolution for fly dressers of ultra mobile materials used for winging a supporting underwing as Steffan suggests is a bit of a banker if you don't want goat and other spooky stuff fouling your hook points. Personally I utilise a short skinny bunch of dyed calf tail which even in the strongest of flowing water helps keep the wing attitude correct. Even if you tie your wings short of the treble if the wing just pushes against the tube then most of the mobility is lost. Having said all this if you are by Underley Bridge at 2.30am on a warm pitch dark night does it really matter? Actually yes it does, at least to me.

3 fish came off Wetheral yesterday afternoon to a new member who has never fished there before. They came in at 8lb, 8lb and 18lb. I should be there this Saturday but have 3 chaps requiring lessons on Saturday morning. The river is currently running at 1ft 9" and cleaner than a cats arse. Why oh why do I insist on persecuting myself like this????????

You got a night on Arkholme this summer. Must be a Sunday of course.
          www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
            I always dress mine with the wing protruding past the end of the body. I am not a fan of giving too much presence to the hook, so prefer to fish an over-length wing. To be honest I have never had an issue with the wing wrapping, but then I only fish doubles on the tubes, which helps, perhaps? If not wrapping does become an issue then you could always support the softer wing material with e.g. bucktail, as you would with a sunray.

TT.
            Many thanks TT for your constructive comments.

Regards, HH.

Comment

TT.
              Many thanks TT for your constructive comments.

Very much appreciated, Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
                Chuffin' Hell Brian as they say in Dewsbury and all points east. With the recent and not so recent evolution for fly dressers of ultra mobile materials used for winging a supporting underwing as Steffan suggests is a bit of a banker if you don't want goat and other spooky stuff fouling your hook points. Personally I utilise a short skinny bunch of dyed calf tail which even in the strongest of flowing water helps keep the wing attitude correct. Even if you tie your wings short of the treble if the wing just pushes against the tube then most of the mobility is lost. Having said all this if you are by Underley Bridge at 2.30am on a warm pitch dark night does it really matter? Actually yes it does, at least to me.

3 fish came off Wetheral yesterday afternoon to a new member who has never fished there before. They came in at 8lb, 8lb and 18lb. I should be there this Saturday but have 3 chaps requiring lessons on Saturday morning. The river is currently running at 1ft 9" and cleaner than a cats arse. Why oh why do I insist on persecuting myself like this????????

You got a night on Arkholme this summer. Must be a Sunday of course.
                Cheers young 'G', most of my success has been achieved on the Border - Esk using tube flies, I have not done so well on the Lune using tubes, this is the reason for the question. I would suggest the Border - Esk flows a 'wee' touch quicker than the Lune. You have a rod on Whittington and KLAA when you are ready. (31/05/15) would be mighty fine at Arkholme, if possible, I can return the key at the same time.
                Regards, Holly.{AE} better than [BSc.]

Comment

Originally posted by holly View Post
                  Cheers young 'G', most of my success has been achieved on the Border - Esk using tube flies, I have not done so well on the Lune using tubes, this is the reason for the question. I would suggest the Border - Esk flows a 'wee' touch quicker than the Lune. You have a rod on Whittington and KLAA when you are ready. (31/05/15) would be mighty fine at Arkholme, if possible, I can return the key at the same time.
                  Regards, Holly.{AE} better than [BSc.]

Chuffin' hell Yorkshire, I knew you were a clever bugger but I didn't know you had letters after your name. Well actually yes I did. As a man of some learning I have a small puzzle for you to solve. It goes like this - My brother went to prison 5 years ago for a whole plethora of various crimes. He was kept in solitary confinement in a cell 25.5ft long X 15.75ft wide. The cell had no windows and the door was locked with a triple padlock. All he had in his cell was a table measuring 6.3ft long X 4.25ft wide. My brother actually escaped and made off to South America and with the exception of an occasional post card I never ever hear from him. My question to you my learned friend is how did he manage his escape?

By the way 31/05/15 is peachy by me and I hope you catch fish a plenty.

Aye aye shipmate,
                  Geoffrey
                  www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

To extend or not to extend.

TT.
                    Hi there TT, many thanks for your comments.

Regards, Holly.

Comment

Working...
                    X