Snake flies on a floating line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake flies on a floating line

Can snake flies be effective with a floating line or are they best kept for later in the night with sinking lines and if they can be used with a floating line how should they be fished? ? I am asking because I bought some large waddingtons that look around the same size as some of my smaller snakes.

Thanks for any advice.

DB

Hi DB,

yes! they can indefinitely be fished on the floating line to great effect.

To be honest I rarely fish with snake-flies nowadays, but do fish with patterns that achieve the same effect.

A snake fly on a floating line will fish just in the water surface, much like an 'in the surface' surface lure, which is deadly.

I remember fishing like this last September on the Teifi, it was deadly! The fish were very 'up' for the surface lure, but sometimes takes can be hit and miss, so I decided to fish light but long flies on the floating line; it worked a treat. I hooked 2 fish which I believe were 10lbs+ that night - one definitely was, as it was landed! :>

As a round up; definitely worth a go, especially in the second half of the season - now onwards - when the fish tend to be more active and switched on to surface patterns.

TT.

ps. I think JT does fish snakes on the floating line too, perhaps he can divulge more.

Comment

Hi TT,
      I was wondering (If it is not too cheeky to ask) what do you use instead of snake flies. I was recently shown a tandem fly that I have started to use but are there other options as well.

Diolch

Grunt

Comment

Hi Grunt,

I can do one better than that and show you some photos!

Tandems would do the trick. I tend to prefer these though:

They're basically exactly the same set-up as a jambo mount, but you don't spin the deer hair in the head, opting for more of a waddington/tube style dressing instead.

TT.

Comment

Wotcher,

I must confess - I too have moved gradually away from snakes and have reverted to really big singles and waddies/tubes.

I used to fish the line and leader length to suit the stretch - I found a square cast with a couple of mends worked well in faster, rapidly shallowing, tails.

I've done all sorts of modifcations - using inverted doubles hidden in the wing to avoid snags in low water to using the same with a cone head to get down in the "deep on one side and rapidly shallowing to the near bank" - type pools.

I'll now fish them occasionally on an intermediate line but when I think a larger presentation is needed in shallower water I either opt for a large size 4 single or a trusted old snake in silver, red and black.

Not sure if this helps but, in essence, use your instinct and river craft to work out if a snake is worth a chuck and then at what presentation height would suit.

Good luck.

Jon

Comment

Good stuff Jon.

(:,You'd do well on one of our Steelhead rivers here in the PNW.

Fred

Comment

Now there's an offer I can't refuse Fred!

Comment

Diolch TT I'll definatly give these a go. |\

Comment

Snakes on a floater have worked on teifi ,i dont do night fishing much these days as on a 6 day week and growing sensibly older need my sleep .
                  however were I to do the nights again i really see the John Gray needle tubes as a way forward ,they are sweet !(:,

Comment

Thanks all for your advice and guidance.

DB

Comment

Working...
                    X