Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark flies

Happy New Year to all.
    Just starting to fill up a few gaps in my fly boxes for the forthcoming season & upon looking through it would seem that I have every colour & profile of fly going except from something slim & all black/dark. Any recommendations as to patterns?
    The thing that made me think was a chat with a gillie on the Tweed at the back end whilst up there for a few days after salmon, the water was high & dirty (in reality it was a waste of time) but the gillie said that our only hope was along the edges with something big & black as the profile of a black fly stands out more in low light.
    In the days when I coarse fished often I coloured the tops of my floats black to make them stand out & our lobster pot buoys on the boats have one half of them sprayed black for the same reason.
    Any thoughts?

What about a stoat tail waddington|\
    theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

As john has said above exept substitute the black and silver body for a black mylar one. A snake with a black mylar body, some black hair and a few strands of peacock sword used to give me great results durring the late eighties and nineties, i may just knock a few more up and see if they still do the biz lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jj1 View Post
        As john has said above exept substitute the black and silver body for a black mylar one. A snake with a black mylar body, some black hair and a few strands of peacock sword used to give me great results durring the late eighties and nineties, i may just knock a few more up and see if they still do the biz lol.
        Hmmmmm, that does sound nice JJ |\

Yup, black gives the strongest silhouette, hence why it is widely used for night fishing and also in coloured water. Chartreuse is another one for coloured water - even if just used as a collar hackle.

TT.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, time to buy a bigger fly box!

Comment

Working...
          X