Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salmon spey rod

Hi all
    I am new to this forum. I'm after a bit of advise .I fish on my local river neath and I am after a double handed spey rod .im looking for a rod 12 - 12 ft 6" , 8-9 wt. I didn't want to go to 13 ft unless I had to,some of the options I have are
    1-shakespear scandi 12 ft 9 , 8 wt
    2- airflo air tec 13 ft 8-9 wt
    I will be using a Rio afs .
    I don't want to spend to much and would buy secondhand if needs must if any one has a suitable rod to sell I would be most interested.
    Many thanks
    James

Hello James and a very warm welcome to The Forum. I don't wish to confuse you but you may wish to consider a third option. If you have a look at the John Norris Atlantic Salmon Rod at 12ft 6" long I think you will find it better than the Shakespeare or the Airflo. James Norris has them on offer for about £100.00 and they are worth every penny. It is badged up as needing a 34g head. I find that this stunts the action a little bit. My suggestion would be to use it with a 30g Rio Scandi or a Loop Lo Float GDC Shooting Head. I use these rods and the 2 longer ones he does for all of my teaching. You can pair the rod up with a cheap reel and the shooting head will cost you about £30.00. I hope that you get set up with what works best for you whichever way you go.

Best regards,
    Geoff
    www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Geoff
      Really appreciate your help. Would the john noris rod handle di 5 sinking heads with brass tubes.The river isn't very wide and max distance at an angle I would be casting say 35 yards. So I was a bit concerned as to the lines not being fully loaded to shoot out . This is why I thought the afs might be better but I would take your advise if this was not the case.
      Kind regards
      James

Comment

Hello again James, the rod will comfortably handle 30g sinking heads. The sinking AFS heads are not my personal favourite and I would probably plump for a Guideline Triple Density 30g. These things cast and fish extremely well indeed.
        www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Just to throw a spanner into the works, I use a 13' Shakespeare Spey rod, I dislike having to pull all the running back into the tip.

The Shakespeare see's more action than my McKenzie 14', which cost me a dam site more.

Comment

Thanks for the advise .Im going to order the john Norris rod . I had a look at the guideline triple d line seen good reviews on them a bit out of my budjet as I would need to buy a few more spools and a selection of sinking heads. I think the Rio scandi line would be best as it comes in a kit with everything with it.could you confirm it is the 8- 9 wt I will need.
            Regards
            James

Comment

Hello again James.

if you are thinking of the Rio Scandi then I would go with the 8 weight rather than the 9. The 9 weight is 34g and the 8 weight is only 30g. If you click on this LINK and have a look at the Scandanavian Floating Head RSF460 which is the 4th item from the bottom of the page. That is the one that I would recommend for you. Please bear in mind that this is the head only and you will need a running line and some Versileaders or Polyleaders. You can buy a complete set of Airflo salmon Polyleaders for about £20.00 and in this you will get about 8 of varying densities from float through to very fast sink. Rio Versileaders are about £8.00each.
              www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Many thanks

Comment

Just received my john norris 12 ft 6 atlantic spey rod,well chuffed awaiting my rio scandi line.cant wait to use it.:>

Comment

Working...
                  X