Dark Olive Bloa - Step By Step

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Olive Bloa - Step By Step

I must confess that this is one of my personal favourite spider patterns for grayling fishing. I have been tying these up to go out with this Saturday and while I was at it thought I would put a step by step together. Utilising natural grey blue coloured mole fur will of course give you a standard waterhen bloa. It is of course your own choice and more importantly the choice of your quarry that really matters.

Tying Materials

Hook: Kamasan B160 Size 10 - 14. I demonstrate on a size 14
    Thread: Sheer 14/0 Primrose
    Body: Tying thread touch dubbed with olive dyed mole fur
    Hackle: Under covert feather from a waterhen wing.

Tying Method

Step 1: Secure the hook in the vice with the point protruding.

Step 2: Attach primrose tying thread and wind back in tight touching turns.

Step 3: Wind the thread to the rear of the hook terminating approximately opposite the hook barb.

Step 4: Using a dubbing rake remove some fur from an olive dyed moleskin.

Step 5: Apply a small amount of BT Tacky Wax to the tying thread and touch dub a SMALL amount of fur.

Step 6: Wind the dubbed thread in open turns. Remove any excess fur that may have accumulated o the thread.

Step 7: Select an appropriate undercovert feather from a waterhen wing. These can be found where I have indicated.

Step 8: Strip the barbs from one side of the feather as indicated.

Step 9: Tie in the feather.

Step 10: Wind the feather with the bare stalk against the hook shank.

Step 11: Whip finish and varnish.

Step 12: HAPPY FISHING :>

www.silversalmon.co.uk

Truly awesome, nice one LG |\

Lovely tying and very clear SBS. Spot on, thanks for sharing.

I have never fished much with spiders, so this has inspired me to get a few ready for the winter.

Do you shoot at all LG? If not, I will gladly save you some snipe wings if you like? Also some woodcock too if you like?

TT

p.s. cracking grayling!

Comment

Hello Steff, yes I do shoot but the fact is if I took anything home in the form of dead birds my missus would disown me as she takes a dim view of me killing stuff. The upshot (no pun intended) is that I am resigned to clay pigeons and pheasant which my mate takes off me and his wife cooks the breasts for me. I would therefore take you up with much gratitude unreservedly on your offer of snipe and woodcock wings. I have absolutely no experience of drying and treating animal skins so this is a major help for me. In return if you want some spiders tying up then just holler |\
      www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Working...
      X