This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TBD - Worth a cast or three...

This is one did really well for me this season, but with a purple hackle rather than the royal blue shown in the video.

Hope you find it of use

TT.

or four…!!

That's a tasty number, Steff. Must trie a few of those.

app

Comment

Thanks app

The pattern continued to produce last season - indeed, it produced the biggest fish that I guided a client on; a magnificent fish of 9.5lbs, which is a fantastic sea trout for the Teifi.

The purple hackle really did the damage, rather than the traditional royal or kingfisher blue.

TT.

Comment

I must apologise as I have only just played the Youtube clip despite you posting this quite a while ago. A very striking pattern that I am more than sure would do some major damage on my River Lune. I am so sure in fact that I am gonna tie some up during my next sitting and will fish one next time out.

I don't mean to get personal Mr. Jones but where did you get those chin whiskers from? In fairness I am only jealous cos when I feebly attempt to grow a beard I get gaps at my side burns and the sides of my mouth, it makes me look like I have coloured myself in with a Sharpie pen.
        www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Lol! Thanks for that!!! :> That's two months growth and it still did not join up.

As for the fly; thank you and hope it brings you luck. |\

Steff

Comment

Love the step by step guide will try it this year. Where do you get your royal blue Cape from steff.
            Regards
            James

Comment

Thanks James

I used to get them off ebay - you could be them by the metre! Strung. Superb and thankfully I have enough for a few years...

Can't seem to find them now - just took a look. About the nearest I could see, but these look like cock rather then hen or schlappen.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hackle-Fea...item2a30c22242

Buy the packet, these are spot on and loads of colours, including the royal blue:

http://www.funkyflytying.co.uk/shop/...s-spirit/1124/

Steff

Comment

I had some royal blue off a big retailer recently and as soon as my grey matter allows me to remember I will let you know.

Mintylad

Comment

The stuff from Toby at Funky Flytying is a product by Nature's Spirit in America. The hackles are all uniform and the quality is exceptional. Every hackle in the packet is usable and there is zero waste. I will confess at this point that Toby is a personal friend of mine but I would never endorse any product in which I didn't have 100% belief whether it was from a friend or anybody else for that matter.
                  www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Plus one for Toby. Great to deal with.

Comment

Cheers , got some on order . Going to try the flo Blue aswell, Seam to well begining of season on the black, blue , silver colours .
                      Thanks
                      James

Comment

Guess I had better say the same, being in his pro-team! Just in case he is looking at this :>

In all honesty Toby at FunkyFlyTying does offer a fantastic service and huge range of products - indeed, if it's not on his site then send him a message as he probably has it in stock; he only has a fraction of his stock on the site.

The Nature's spirit stuff I put on the link above is superb and really good colour quality.

TT.

Comment

Cheers ordered a few packs inc the flo blue great for early season. They look quality shlappen .

Comment

Hi Steff,

Many thanks for the step-by-step. It looks like a great fly so have tied up a few in purple and royal blue. Hopefully I've done the pattern justice, although am not entirely happy I've got the profile right (?).

I was thinking of using this as an alternative to the Daioni, but would you fish the TBD on the top dropper or on point?

Thanks,

James

Comment

They look good enough to eat, James

The difficult thing with this pattern is the amount of different elements. You have to juggle the amount of turns to balance the profile - not easy when hackling teal, for example. However, I think you have done a good job and they will certainly catch.

This has been primarily used as a point fly with the daioni on the dropper. However, it could certainly be used on the dropper too with a tube etc. on the point. Also worth making a couple on doubles, so that they will fish better as a point fly and balance the cast a bit better.

Good job and thanks for sharing |\

Steff

Comment

Working...
                              X