Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casting square

ello gents,

heard a lot last season and this season about boys catching fish by fishing the fly square, so started incorporating it into my fishing this season, no luck as yet, but im still a bit puzzled as to the method. {;sounds a bit twp but can't find the logic in it. everytime i cast the flies square or slightly upstream i find that i have no control of the fly line itself and am more often than not just taking up the slack as the flies/line flows downriver, moreover (because of the nature of the water i fish) i find myself often in deep water and when doing a square cast i can gurantee that i'm usually no more than 10ft away from the opposite bank, which considering a square cast at 10 ft isn't that far then i'm within good distance of spooking fish.~# i may have explained this totally the wrong way and i apologise if i leave some leaving bewildered, it's just im interested in those that have had success with this method and would like to be proved wrong..... lol:>

ATB

Rhys
    My Fly fishing Blog!!

http://www.pursuingsilver.co.uk/

Originally posted by towynutt06 View Post
    ello gents,

{;sounds a bit twp but can't find the logic in it. everytime i cast the flies square or slightly upstream i find that i have no control of the fly line itself and am more often than not just taking up the slack as the flies/line flows downriver, moreover (because of the nature of the water i fish) i find myself often in deep water and when doing a square cast i can gurantee that i'm usually no more than 10ft away from the opposite bank,

Rhys
    No problem here Rhys - the thing is, controlling the fly line is what it's all about. If you cast upstream at an angle you're effectively fishing your flies 'dead drift' until they're just past square of you (and yes you're controlling your fly line) and the current starts to create a downstream 'mend' in your line and your fly (flies) will pick up speed, lift in the current and begin to 'swing' towards your bank (very attractive!).

There is an analogy here with 'Czech Nymphing', with a carefull approach there is no reason why fish cannot be taken under your feet. I've often seen people wade over fish holding water under the assumption that the fish are on the other side of the river. Why is it they're always on the other side? If you were standing on the opposite bank - where would they be?

Comment

Working...
    X