Low Temp Nights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Temp Nights

What tactics are you using at this time of the year when the temps drop quickly?

Should l try to go deeper and use larger flies?

Do you find that fish move to the deeper holes as the temperature drops?

Thanks

A good start is to wear a thick jumper and wooly socks
    www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

As above... and yes I would tend to go deep and slow not sure it matters on the size of fly really
      theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

Originally posted by johnevs View Post
        As above... and yes I would tend to go deep and slow not sure it matters on the size of fly really
        Thanks John

Comment

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
          A good start is to wear a thick jumper and wooly socks
          Hi laffingravy, a good bit of sound advice, however, my colleague and I have been out on two occasions an caught sea trout with the surface lure.

My colleague had an 8lb relatively fresh sea trout 03/09/14, a 3lb sea trout and one at a 1lb. I had one 3.5 lb on a size 8, 01 Wilson wet fly.

We were out Sunday night, my colleague had 6 sea tout up to 2lb. on the surface lure, while I only managed a 1.5 lb sea trout on a wet fly.

Hope this helps, holly.

Comment

Strange I fished last Thursday and used a surface lure , I had no response at all.. Friday night on the same pool I had 7 on a snake fly but when the temp dropped I could not get any interest at all . It's hard to understand how a fish can respond to a temp drop so quickly when they are submerged in moving water but they can ..... Matt:>

Comment

Originally posted by holly View Post
              Hi laffingravy, a good bit of sound advice, however, my colleague and I have been out on two occasions an caught sea trout with the surface lure.

My colleague had an 8lb relatively fresh sea trout 03/09/14, a 3lb sea trout and one at a 1lb. I had one 3.5 lb on a size 8, 01 Wilson wet fly.

We were out Sunday night, my colleague had 6 sea tout up to 2lb. on the surface lure, while I only managed a 1.5 lb sea trout on a wet fly.

Hope this helps, holly.

Heyup Brian,

I personally feel that it is sometimes easy for anglers to get mixed up between water temperature and air temperature. A warmish evening closely followed by a chill in the night and it is easy to assume that because the angler feels a little bit cold the water is cold which of course it isn't necessarily. Sea trout as with all fish will switch on and off for a whole plethora of reasons. Last night in my own particular case it was when the farmer switched on the floodlights around his farm and absolutely ruined the pool that my guest and I were fishing with yes you guessed it surface lures and oddly enough it was a relatively cold night. The pool was producing takes with alarming regularity and once the lights went on the fish went off. We migrated further up river and sport was resumed on surface lures and your favourite secret pattern 'X'.
              www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
                Heyup Brian,

I personally feel that it is sometimes easy for anglers to get mixed up between water temperature and air temperature. A warmish evening closely followed by a chill in the night and it is easy to assume that because the angler feels a little bit cold the water is cold which of course it isn't necessarily. Sea trout as with all fish will switch on and off for a whole plethora of reasons. Last night in my own particular case it was when the farmer switched on the floodlights around his farm and absolutely ruined the pool that my guest and I were fishing with yes you guessed it surface lures and oddly enough it was a relatively cold night. The pool was producing takes with alarming regularity and once the lights went on the fish went off. We migrated further up river and sport was resumed on surface lures and your favourite secret pattern 'X'.
                Well done G, three fish taken last night from 2lb to 3lb, holly.

Comment

Working...
                X