Attaching backing to fly-line

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching backing to fly-line

Here's a good little way of attaching your backing to your fly-line. It's also a great way of attaching wire to nylon when pike fishing...

I think that the knot is a fairly well known one, but I have no idea of the name, sorry.

What you'll need; fly line! backing! and short piece (1cm) of 3mm bore shrink tubing.

start by threading the shrink tubing up your backing

Next, form a point in your fly-line.

pass the braid through the point, and catch it in the same hand.

double the braid back and take it round the doubled up fly-line about 5 times.

Then take it back through the looped section of the fly-line.

slowly pull the loose ends of the backing until it sits snuggly.

Cut the loose ends, and cut the fly-line at an angle (this will help give you a tapered end).

Put a drop of super-glue on the knot then pass the shrink-tube over.

pass a flame under the shrink-tube or hold it over the steam of a boiling kettle (taking care!).

The end result:

A nice, neat connection knot.

TT.

Its an albright knot, this is also the best knot for attatching a short mono or braid leader to your braid mainline if you dont want a swivel bashing hell out of your tip ring.

Just use 12 to 20 wraps of braid around a loop in the mono ( not knotted ), tighten up and cut snug - no need for heat shrink on that end of course.

For myself, for attatching fly line to backing I use a braided loop on the end of my fly line just like I might at the other end ( if I liked them ) and have a large loop ( big enough to pass the reel through made in my braid backing - then I can change a whole line nice and quickly using the same reel.

Comment

Originally posted by SJF, Simon View Post

For myself, for attatching fly line to backing I use a braided loop on the end of my fly line just like I might at the other end ( if I liked them ) and have a large loop ( big enough to pass the reel through made in my braid backing - then I can change a whole line nice and quickly using the same reel.
      Thanks for naming the knot Simon, much appreciated. I too follow your method, and tend to have a braided loop at the back-end of the line. However, this is an useful knot to know and remember should you be on the riverbank etc. with few options at your disposal.

TT.

Comment

Working...
      X